Monday, November 3, 2008

Book Review: Love Comes Softly



Name: Love Comes Softly
Author: Janette Oke
Others in the Series: Love Comes Softly, Love's Enduring Promise, Love's Long Journey, Love's Abiding Joy, Love's Unending Legacy, Love's Unfolding Dream, Love Takes Wing, Love Finds a Home
Brief summary:Marty is a young pioneer woman, recently widowed and pregnant with no place to live and no means to go home. Clark Davis asks her to be his wife of "convenience" since he needs a caretaker for his young daughter, Missie, and Marty needs food and shelter. Not at all interested, but desperately in need, she accepts. This first book explains the first 6-8 months of this strange marriage. Marty is determined to pull her weight and do her time until Spring when Clark has agreed to pay her way home. The book is wholesome, funny, suspense filled and holds the reader's interest from cover to cover. (from Amazon.com)


Grade/Age level: 13 and up
Cautions: They talk about Marty being pregnant, the loss of a husband or wife, a girl says she is pregnant to marry a "bad boy", a girl is beaten to death.
If you like this book, you might also like . . . Any book by Beverly Lewis
Personal Opinion: WOW! This is the best book I've read in a long time! I loved everything about it! The characters, the writing style, the plot, everything is perfection! I was crying, laughing, and sighing along with the characters. The writing style was really descriptive. Oke used this awesome phrase I've never heard before: Dad-burn. I am SO saying that in my everyday life now. What I also loved about it was that she wrote exactly how they spoke. So, when Marty and Clark say just, In the book it's put as "jest". Or your is "yer". So, Your cow is just fine was "Yer cow is jest fine." It's such an awesome book... I'm already begging my mom to take me to the library so I can get the sequel!
Rating: 10/10


Random tidbit: There was an AMAZING movie made a couple of years ago with Katherine Heigl... It's REALLY good. It was directed by Michael Landon, Jr. (Yes, Michael Landon's son. He directs the best inspirational movies..) So, go watch it!

1 comment:

CSL said...

Hi Katie- My name is CHloe and saw where you read my blog! Thanks! I'm also reading yours!